Sports

Ghana sports minister Kofi Adams denies reports of 2026 World Cup visa refusals for fans

Kofi Adams has dismissed reports claiming Ghanaian supporters have been denied visas by the United States Embassy ahead of the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

The Sports and Recreation Minister said fans being organised through the government-backed World Cup travel arrangement have not yet attended visa interviews, making reports of widespread refusals inaccurate.

Speaking at a press briefing on Tuesday, Adams said discussions between the Ministry of Sports and Recreation, the World Cup Oversight Committee and the United States Embassy had so far been positive.

“The Ministry of Sports and Recreation and the World Cup Oversight Committee, through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, have held several engagements with the United States Embassy regarding Ghana’s preparation towards the 2026 FIFA World Cup. The engagements have been positive and constructive,” he said.

Recent reports had suggested that only a limited number of Ghanaian fans had received visas for the tournament, which will be hosted by the United States, Canada and Mexico.

However, Adams insisted the official fan groups organised by the ministry are yet to begin the visa application process.

“I have read many reports that suggest visa refusals and that only eight or 18 Ghanaian fans have been issued visas. The truth of the matter is that the organised fans that the ministry is leading are yet to submit themselves to the American Embassy for visa interviews,” he added.

“And so one is surprised that anybody will be talking about only 18 when that is not the case.”

 

 

The minister acknowledged that some individuals and private tour groups may already be independently applying for visas to travel to the tournament.

“However, we do know that individuals may be applying for visas to travel to America, Canada and Mexico, or even as groups through some travel and tour companies. I do not know what is happening to that arrangement,” Adams said.

“However, it is false and not true when anyone says that the arrangement that we are spearheading as a ministerial oversight committee and the Ministry of Sports and Recreation have had these refusals when they are even yet to appear before the visa issuing offices.”

 

 

Ghana have been drawn in Group L for the World Cup alongside England, Croatia and Panama.

The Black Stars will begin their campaign against Panama in Toronto on June 17 before facing England in Boston on June 23 and Croatia in Philadelphia on June 27.

Source:Fiilasports/ghanasoccernet

Related Articles

Close