But even though Ortiz, 40, claims he is desperate to take on IBF, WBA and WBO world champion Joshua, the Cuban claims Hearn was never serious about making the fight happen.
A statement from Ortiz’s team read: “It’s a no go for June 1…
“Sorry guys we where told to stay as quiet as possible and play possum until fight had been made because every time someone called out Luis it would be a gimmick to promote them self but it still didn’t work.
“We just received word from promoter it’s a no go and it was all a gimmick and Hearn’s low ball offers will not be accepted and no contract even ever got sent over so sorry to all the loyal fans.
“Luis really wanted this title shot.”
Ortiz’s one defeat came against WBC king Deontay Wilder in March 2018 by TKO in the tenth round.The experienced King Kong was one of the better options to fill in for Miller, 30, given his pedigree.
Joshua cannot unify the division as Wilder, 33, is set to defend his strap against Dominic Breazeale on May 18.
An all-British showdown against Tyson Fury, 30, is also off the cards with the Gypsy King already planning a second tune-up fight after his bout against Tom Schwarz on June 15.
Hearn last week said there were “five or six fighters” in the frame to fight Joshua, but Ortiz was top of the list.
He said: “To be honest with you, I think Anthony Joshua’s choice is Luis Ortiz.
“I think he wants to make a statement. It is dangerous. We have to speak to Rob McCracken [AJ’s trainer].
“It’s not ideal, he [Ortiz] has got to accept the fight. There have been some minor talks after he initially ruled himself out.
“But there is a whole list of other guys as well, and [unbeaten American] Michael Hunter is on the list, but I think for Joshua, honestly in his mind, I do think he has one eye on Luis Ortiz.” Eddie Hearn is scrambling to find a suitable opponent to fight Anthony Joshua on June 1